What is Network Security?
Network security consists of the policies and practices adopted to prevent and monitor unauthorized access, misuse, modification, or denial of a computer network and network-accessible resources. Networks can be private, such as within a company, and others which might be open to public access.
Firewalls create virtual/physical barriers to protect networks. They do this by inspecting and controlling incoming and outgoing Internet traffic and allow or block traffic based on whether it conforms to predetermined security rules.
- Sophos firewalls
- Fortinet firewalls
- Linux firewalls
- Microsoft firewalls etc.
Benefits of a Firewall
- Monitors Traffic – monitors all of the traffic entering your computer network.
- Monitors and blocks intrusions – as trojan horses and other malicious Softwares
- Stops Hackers – keeps hackers out of your network
- Enforcing usage policy within the organisation by defining what can and cannot be done on an office network.
- Provides usage stats in detail